we have the go-to people for providing technical assistance and support related to computer systems, hardware, and software. They are responsible for answering queries and addressing system and user issues in a timely and professional manner. Help desk support works with the IT team, and will often interact with system and computer users across the company. The help desk team will train users on basic system and computer functions. Understanding and proactively maintaining daily system performance, having the ability to troubleshoot customer problems, and innate follow-up and follow-through skills are all essential aspects of the help desk support’s day-to-day role.
Typical Help Desk Support Responsibilities
The day-to-day tasks of a help desk support team vary depending on the needs of the users or systems on a given day. Help desk support personnel can plan for upgrades, updates, and maintenance tasks, but there will always be unexpected issues that arise in a given day. That being said, many in help desk support find themselves acting as the first point of contact when a user is facing hardware, software, or system issues. Many teams work within a ticketing system, so that each member of the help desk team will have a variety of tickets to address and close out each day in addition to their maintenance tasks. While the nature of their role is more technically based, it is important for help desk support specialists to have a tolerant and patient disposition, with strong communication skills to put frustrated users at ease. With many tasks to oversee, in general help desk support will be responsible to:
- Monitor and respond quickly to incoming requests relate to IT issues.
- Maintain computer systems and act as support if any system goes down.
- Responsible for PC’s, Printers, Servers and related equipment (monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drive, etc).
- Maintain user PCs, including upgrades and configuration as needed.
- Assist with onboarding of new users.
- Keep inventory of all equipment, software, and license users.
- Install, configure, and upgrade PC software.
Skills of a Help Desk Support Specialist
Help desk support teams are patient task managers who know how to find or create solutions to unexpected problems. They often work with multiple teams and departments, and need to be able to communicate and take ownership to ensure tasks are completed appropriately and on time. There are some essential skills that everyone in a help desk support role should have:
- General awareness of computer systems, PC repair, and network management
- Resourcefulness and quick-thinking nature to troubleshoot new and critical technical issues as they arise.
- Ability deploy, configure, and support operating systems on desktop and mobile
- Understanding and appreciation for information security within systems and user devices.
- Strong drive to provide excellent customer service and experience, with an awareness of prioritization of tasks, stakeholders, budget, and time.